Don't Give Voting Rights to Those Getting Citizenship Under Proposed Bill for 25 yrs: Shiv Sena
Vinayak Raut of the Sena said that besides Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, refugees from Sri Lanka should also be allowed to get Indian citizenship.
The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill was tabled by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in the Lok Sabha on Monday. (PTI)
New Delhi: The Shiv Sena on Monday said in the Lok Sabha that people who get Indian citizenship under the proposed Citizenship (Amendment) Bill should not be granted voting rights for 25 years.
Participating in the debate on the bill, Vinayak Raut of the Sena said there is no clarity yet on how and in which state these people would be rehabilitated.
He said framing laws is not enough and there is a need to implement them properly. He also said that while citizenship should be granted, such people should not get voting rights for 25 years.
Raut was of the view that besides Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, refugees from Sri Lanka should also be allowed to get Indian citizenship.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra Gets Trolled for Grammy Dress, Suchitra Krishnamoorthi Defends Her
- Nick Jonas Fans Can't Stop Stanning Over Food Stuck in His Teeth During Grammy Gig
- Shaheer Sheikh Throws Fun Gala for Yeh Rishtey Hain Pyaar Ke Cast
- PUBG Mobile: Best Weapons to Choose and Full List of Weapon Stats
- Priest from Hyderabad's 'Visa Temple' is Demanding Citizenship for the Deity Under CAA