Eid-ul-Fitr on Thursday, Kerala to Celebrate Tomorrow
The Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, Syed Ahmed Bukhari, announced that the Eid will be celebrated on July 7.
For Representation Only
New Delhi: Eid-ul-Fitr, which marks the culmination of the fasting and holy month of Ramzan, will be celebrated across the country, barring Kerala, on Thursday.
"Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Thursday as the moon was not sighted today," Imam of Delhi's Fatehpuri Masjid Mufti Mohammad Mukarram Ahmed told PTI.
As this lunar month was of 30 days, fasting by Muslims will automatically be over on July 7, the day on which Eid will be celebrated.
"Hence, the festival will be celebrated on Thursday," the Imam said.
The Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, Syed Ahmed Bukhari, also announced that the Eid will be celebrated on July 7.
In Kerala, however, Eid will be celebrated on Wednesday. Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed as a fasting period by Muslims world over who abstain from food and water during the period extending from 30 minutes before the sunrise to sunset.
Earlier in the day, the Centre announced that its offices in the national capital will remain closed on Thursday in view of Eid.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Swanky Cars, Snazzy Hairstyles and Tattoos: The New Lifestyles of India's Kabbadi Millionaires
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4X 65-inch Launched Alongside Mi TV 4X 50-inch, 4X 43-inch and 4A 40-inch
- Xiaomi Mi Band Launched in India at Rs 2,299, First Sale on September 19
- 22 Years and Countless Battles Later, Ash Ketchum Has Finally Become a Pokémon Master
- Mi Smart Water Purifier Launched in India at Rs 11,999: Here's How it Works