Eleven Indian Fishermen Arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
The Navy said that over the months the number of Indian fishing boats poaching in the Sri Lankan waters have reduced due to continuous surveillance.
Picture for representational purpose.
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy has arrested at least 11 India fishermen for allegedly poaching in the country's territorial waters.
The fishermen were arrested from the northern coast of the Alanathivu island on Saturday and their three trawlers were taken under the Navy's charge, a senior Sri Lankan Navy official said.
"The fishermen and their trawlers would be handed over to the Jaffna, fisheries directorate through the coastal conservation department," the official said.
Navy said that over the months the number of Indian fishing boats poaching in the Sri Lankan waters have reduced due to continuous surveillance.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Desi Cricket Fans Find Solace in Lockdown by Reliving 2011 World Cup Glory
- K-Pop Star Kim Jae-joong Pranks Fans Saying He has Coronavirus, Deletes Post After Backlash
- Sunil Grover Shares Video from Kapil Sharma Show, Says it Makes Him Emotional
- Roger Federer 'Devastated' as Wimbledon Cancelled Due to Coronavirus
- Captain to Chief Negotiator: Chiellini Worked Out Salary Cuts for Juventus Players, Including Cristiano Ronaldo