Two JeM Militants Killed in Encounter in J&K’s Shopian Day After Surgical Strikes 2.0
There were no reports of any casualties so far in the operation.
The encounter started earlier today and the search operation is underway. (Image : ANI).
Srinagar: Two Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM)militants were killed on Wednesday in an encounter with security forces in Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Meemendar area of Shopian following information about the presence of militants there, the officials said.
They said the search operation turned into an encounter after militants opened fire towards the security forces, who retaliated.
The two militants were killed in the ensuing gunfight. The officials said the slain militants were affiliated with proscribed Jaish-e-Mohammad.
Arms and ammunition were recovered from the scene of the encounter, he said, adding further details are awaited.
The encounter comes a day after India bombed and destroyed Jaish-e-Mohammed's (JeM) biggest training camp in Balakot in Pakistan's restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, about 80-km from the Line of Control (LoC), killing a "very large number" of terrorists, trainers and senior commanders.
The strike was the first by the Indian Air Force (IAF) inside Pakistan after the 1971 war.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Pankaj Tripathi Shares Emotional Incident When He Stole His 'Guru' Manoj Bajpayee's Slippers
- Katrina Kaif and Arjun Kapoor Save a Paparazzi From Getting Hurt; Watch Video
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes