Ex-IPS Officer MK Das Appointed Special Police Observer for Jharkhand Polls, Says CEC
MK Das was asked about the steps the poll panel was taking for smooth conduct of the five-phase elections in the aftermath of the attack of armed insurgents in the state.
New Delhi: In the aftermath of a Naxal attack on policemen in Jharkhand, the Election Commission on Friday appointed former IPS officer MK Das as special police observer for the assembly polls in the state, according to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora.
He said Das will reach Jharkhand on Saturday to take up his new responsibility.
"Former IPS officer MK Das has been appointed as special police observer for Jharkhand," Arora told PTI.
He was asked about the steps the poll panel was taking for smooth conduct of the five-phase elections in the aftermath of the attack.
Three police personnel, including a sub-inspector, were killed in a Naxal attack in Latehar district of Jharkhand on Friday. The attack by armed insurgents happened about 8:30 pm when the police party was on patrol duty.
Deputy Election Commissioner Sudeep Jain said Das, a former director general of Manipur Police, was deployed as a special observer for Tripura and Mizoram in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Steve Harvey Goofed up Costume Winner at Miss Universe 2019 and Internet Had a Déjà Vu Moment
- Remember the Viral Hindu-Muslim Same-Sex Couple? Here's How They Fought 'TikTok's Homophobia'
- Ranbir Kapoor's Badtameez Dil Gets Sara Ali Khan Grooving, Watch Video
- Pati Patni Aur Woh Box Office Day 2: Kartik-Ananya's Film Earns Rs 21.43 Cr
- Nike Joyride Dual Run Review: The Running Shoe Revolution is Truly Underway