Farmer Violence: Former Mandsaur Collector, SP Suspended by MP Govt
On June 6, the police opened fire on agitating farmers killing five of them and another farmer allegedly beaten up by the police died during treatment at MY Hospital in Indore
File photo of farmers staging protest at Indore-Bhopal highway. (Image: PTI)
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh government has suspended former Mandsaur collector Swatantra Kumar Singh, Superintendent of Police (SP) OP Tripathi and City Superintendent of Police (CSP) Sai Krishna S Thota over the violent farmer agitation that was witnessed in the area.
On June 6, the police opened fire on agitating farmers killing five of them and another farmer allegedly beaten up by the police died during treatment at MY Hospital in Indore. This sparked widespread furore in neighbouring districts, including Neemuch, Dewas, Bhopal, Indore, Shajapur and Ratlam.
The police action at Mandsaur had left the Shivraj government red-faced.
The farmers and opposition parties, especially Congress, have demanded stringent action against the policemen and officers responsible for the shootout.
Interestingly, the Collector and SP were transferred by the state government after the June 6 incident. It is believed that these officers have faced state government action for their alleged inability in handling the law and order situation during the farmer protests.
Meanwhile, Dinesh Sharma - head of the MP Panchayat Sachiv Sangthan - was also arrested by police on Wednesday. Sources claimed that Sharma was nabbed for his alleged role in the farmer agitation.
However, the police claimed that Sharma was wanted in some past cases and arrest warrant was issued against him.
Recommended For You
- Reliance Jio Q1 Results: Users Consume More Data Per Month as Jio Overtakes Airtel
- Sony WH-XB900N Review: Headphones to Buy if Your Wad of Cash Totals to Rs 16,990
- YouTube Music Now Lets Your Switch Between a Song And Its Music Video With a Single Tap
- Meet ‘Khoj,’ the Most Expensive Member of CISF’s Dog Squad for Protecting Delhi Metro
- He Gives Me So Much Respect, Sometimes I Feel Embarrassed, Says Kareena Kapoor on Diljit Dosanjh