Fire Breaks Out in Pune Slum, Several Shanties Gutted
No casualties have been reported so far. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.
Firefighting operations underway at the Pune slum. (ANI)
New Delhi: Several shanties were gutted in a major fire that engulfed a slum pocket in Pune's Shivajinagar area on Wednesday but no casualty was reported in the mishap, officials said.
The blaze erupted in the Patil Estate slum adjacent to the old Pune-Mumbai Highway at around 1 PM, fire brigade officials said, adding that it spread rapidly due to explosion of LPG cylinders.
People rushed to safety as the fire raged, they said. Officials said the highway was closed for vehicular movement for some hours due to the fire.
"The fire spread rapidly due to explosion of LPG cylinders. Over 60 shanties gutted in the fire. No casualties are reported as people rushed to a secured area," a fire brigade official said.
The flames were put out completely after more than two hours with the help of 30 fire tenders, he said, adding that the cooling operation is on at the location. The exact cause of the incident is not known immediately.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- BSNL Rs 777 Broadband Plan Gets You 50 Mbps Speed And 500GB Data
- Is Facebook Ready For TV Battles With Netflix, Apple TV+ and Amazon Video?
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma
- Russian Goalkeeper Saveli Kononov Gets AK-47 for his Man of the Match Performance
- Apple TV Plus Shows, Prices Compared with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, Zee5