Five of Family Die of Suffocation Inside Sewage Well in Gujarat's Patan
A police official said that Ranjanaben fell into the well which was being used as a kind of septic tank when she accidentally stepped on its brick cover on the evening of September 17.
Ahmedabad: Five members of a family died of suffocation inside a well where sewage collected in Patan district of Gujarat, the police said on Thursday.
The incident took place at Gujarvada village in Sami tehsil two days ago.
The state government announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh each for the surviving members of the family.
The deceased were identified as Ranjanaben Sindhav (40), Ratabhai Sindhav (58), Ratabhai Nadoda (58), Rajabhai Sindhav (65) and Ajabhai Sindhav (45).
Ranjanaben fell into the well which was being used as a kind of septic tank when she accidentally stepped on its brick cover on the evening of September 17, a police official said.
Her husband Ratabhai entered the well to rescue her, but he fell unconscious because of the toxic fumes.
The other three met the same fate when they climbed down into the well to rescue the couple.
All of them were declared dead on arrival at the local hospital, said sub-inspector Y B Barot of Sami police station.
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani on Thursday announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh each for surviving members of the family from the Chief Minister's Relief Fund, an official release said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'This is a Joke Right?' Trump Wrote a Bizarre Letter to Turkey and Twitter Had a Lot of Memes
- Guidelines For Influencers Are Incoming; a Few Folks And Brands Must be Very Worried
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring
- 'Only Lionel Messi' Thread on Twitter Proves Why He is the Best in Football
- Lebanon Thought Charging For WhatsApp is a Good Idea, But Citizens Vented Their Anger