Former Aviation Minister Praful Patel Deposes Before CBI in 'Air India Scam' Case
Praful Patel's name figures in a chargesheet filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) against aviation lobbyist Deepak Talwar.
File photo of Praful Patel (Photo Credit: AIFF)
Former Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel deposed before the CBI on Thursday over his alleged links with lobbyist Deepak Talwar in an aviation scam related to favouring foreign private airlines at the cost of Air India.
Patel was initially summoned on August 5, but he had requested his availability after August 8.
His name figures in a chargesheet filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) against aviation lobbyist Deepak Talwar.
Talwar was investigated for his alleged deals with foreign airlines which caused loss to the national carrier Air India and is currently under CBI custody. There are allegations that in lieu of securing favourable traffic right, these airlines made payments to the tune of Rs272 crore to Talwar during 2008-09.
Sources said, Talwar and Patel could be confronted on the alleged deal.
However, the CBI spokesperson refused to offer a comment on the matter and said, “The agency doesn’t comment on matters under investigation.”
Talwar was extradited to India from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in January this year.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Adam Lallana Scores Late to Salvage 1-1 Draw for Liverpool
- Bose Frames Review: Music And More, These Are Not Your Standard Sunglasses
- Ranveer Singh's Super Romantic Reply to Deepika Padukone's Comment on His Photo is Winning Hearts
- ISL 2019-20: Bengaluru FC Begin Title Defence Against NorthEast United at Home
- Anushka Sharma Hails 'Crusader' Sunitha Krishnan for Helping Sex Trafficking Victims