Four Trampled to Death by Elephant in Tamil Nadu
The 12-year-old girl was sleeping in the veranda of her house when the elephant, which strayed into human habitations some days ago from nearby Madukkarai forest
Image for representational purpose only. (Reuters/ Philimon Bulawayo/ File Photo)
Coimbatore: Four persons, including a minor girl, were trampled to death and two others injured by an elephant at Vellalore area in the outskirts of the city on Friday.
The 12-year-old girl was sleeping in the veranda of her house when the elephant, which strayed into human habitations some days ago from nearby Madukkarai forests, trampled her to death at around 3.30 AM, police said.
The pachyderm then moved away from the area and attacked and grievously injured three more persons, including two women.
They were rushed to the government hospital here, but did not respond to treatment and passed away, police said.
The injured persons have been hospitalised.
Forest department officials said they are taking efforts to drive away the pachyderm into the forest by bringing in 'kumkis' (tamed elephants) and also trying to tranquilise it and urged people not to venture out of their homes.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inspired by 50s Puppet Show or Just for Appeal? Internet is Wondering What 'Howdy Modi' Means
- Google For India: Understanding Google Pay Virtual Tokenized Cards For Secure Payments
- Your iPhone is Going to Change Today With iOS 13, And Here is What You Will Get
- If Your iPhone Has a True Depth Camera, You Can Now Take 3D Selfies on Snapchat
- Europa League 2019, Manchester United vs Astana Live Streaming: When and Where to Watch Live Telecast