Fourth Life Lost Over PMC Bank Crisis, Depositors Protest Outside RBI Headquarters in Mumbai
The depositors gathered outside the RBI around 11.45 am and held protests by showing placards and chanting slogans against PMC Bank and the RBI.
Protesters outside the RBI headquarters. (PTI)
Mumbai: Depositors of the scam-hit Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank held a protest outside the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) headquarters in south Mumbai on Saturday.
The depositors gathered outside the RBI around 11.45 am and held protests by showing placards and chanting slogans against PMC Bank and the RBI, a police official said.
Police were deployed to avert any untoward incident, he said, adding that nobody has so far been detained or taken into custody.
After an alleged Rs 4,355 crore scam came to light at the PMC Bank, the RBI initially capped withdrawals at Rs 1,000 in view of liquidity crisis, and later hiked it to Rs 40,000 in three moves.
The depositors have been protesting to get their money back.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Swara Bhaskar on Abusing Child Actor on a Show: Was Narrating a Funny Incident
- PUBG Mobile Club Open 2019: SouL MortaL Donates Entire Winning Amount to Indian Army
- WhatsApp Gets One Step Closer to The Dark Mode; New Beta Gets Dark Wallpaper
- Pet Dog in Odisha Fights Cobra Before Killing it, Saves Family of Six
- Emotions Got the Better of Me: Raheem Sterling Admits after Being Dropped by England