Not a Single Stain on My Govt in 3 Years: 10 Things Modi told Indian-Americans
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday addressed more than 500 Indian-Americans at a community reception at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a reception by the Indian-American community said at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner, Virginia. (Twitter/@pmoindia)
New Delhi/Washington: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday addressed more than 500 Indian-Americans at a community reception at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner, Virginia. PM Modi began by addressing the issue of terrorism, saying India’s stand was vindicated with the threat now plain for the world to see. He also took a dig at China and praised External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for giving a human face to diplomacy.
Here’s a look at the highlights of the Prime Minister’s speech:
1. "When India talked of terrorism 20 years ago, many in the world said it was a law and order problem and didn't understand it. Now terrorists have explained terrorism to them so we don't have to," said PM Modi, adding that India has succeeded in telling the world about the need to uproot the menace of terrorism.
2. PM Modi said India has been a victim of terrorism, but "the world did not and cannot stop us. We have succeeded in conveying to the world the deleterious effects of terrorism on India."
3. Talking about the surgical strikes the Indian Army conducted across the Line of Control, Modi said, “When India conducted surgical strikes, the world experienced our power and realised that India practises restrain but can show power when needed."
4. In an apparent dig at China, Modi said that India believed in following the world order. India, he said, does not believe in achieving its goals by not following the global rules. "This is India’s tradition and culture," he noted, apparently referring to China's assertiveness in the South China Sea.
5. PM Modi also promised to the Indian American community that he will fulfil their dreams of India's development. "Your heart always asks ‘when will our country become like this (the US)’... I assure you that this will happen in your lifetime," Modi said.
6. Saying that Indians in America have not just helped India progress but also the US, Modi said that success and action of the Indian diaspora is still echoing in the world. "You are the same people but your success story has a simple reason, it's because you got supportive environment here," he said.
7. The Prime Minister added that "125 crore equally talented Indians are there back in India, they are now getting supportive environment and soon we will develop India…. Today, 125 crore people from Kashmir to Kanyakumari have resolved to do something for their country. With such a resolve, the country is developing at a pace never seen before," Modi said.
8. Calling corruption the root cause due to which "the previous governments were changed in India", Modi said his government has emerged corruption-free in the last three years. "Governments were changed because of corruption. The common people hated this... There has been not a single blot on our government in the past three years. And governance is being modified so that honesty becomes an in-built process. Technology is helping with that."
9. PM Modi also praised the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and Sushma Swaraj for giving a human face to diplomacy and effective use of social media in good governance. "MEA is one ministry of the government which has demonstrated through the use of social media, for the first time, that it cares for poorest of Indians," he said. He assured the Indian-Americans that if they have a problem, the Indian Embassy will find a solution.
10. The Prime Minister also said the warmth the Indian community gave him is memorable. "All my family members are settled in America... The happiness we get after meeting the family is what I am feeling right now…. If you want to give back to India, this is the best time to do so. Keep the bridge with India. Your younger generations must continue the strong bond with India."
Recommended For You
- Haryana Roadways Tried to Kill Me: Shooting Sensation Manu Bhaker Posts Photo of Accident
- Last Hurrah: Mahindra Thar Signature Edition to Commemorate its First Generation
- #BlueForSudan: Why Are People Changing Their Profile Pictures to this Shade of Indigo?
- Karthik, Chahal and Shankar Visit Manchester United
- Cabin of the Next-Gen Hyundai Creta Could Take on Audi's Cockpit
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s