Gandhi Jayanti 2019: Rahul Leads Congress 'Padyatra' on Mahatma's 150th Birth Anniversary
The 'Gandhi Sandesh Yatra' on Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary began from the Delhi Congress office Rajiv Bhavan at Deendayal Upadhyay Marg and headed to Rajghat.
(Image: Getty Images)
New Delhi: Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday led a 'padyatra' here with a large number of party workers following him to Mahatma Gandhi's memorial Rajghat.
The 'Gandhi Sandesh Yatra' on Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary began from the Delhi Congress office Rajiv Bhavan at Deendayal Upadhyay Marg and headed to Rajghat, about three kilometres away, with enthusiastic party workers waving flags and chanting the slogan 'Mahatma Gandhi Amar Rahein'.
Many youth sported Gandhi's trademark spectacles and dhoti and walked with sticks in the march.
A tableau of Gandhi's Sabarmati Ashram and his iconic wooden spinning wheel was also part of the march.
The march will conclude with an oath to be administered to workers and leaders by party president Sonia Gandhi at Rajghat.
Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra is likely to participate in a foot march in Lucknow to commemorate the Mahatma's 150th birth anniversary.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Disha Vakani's Husband Mayur Pandya on Actress' Return to Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Android 10 Update Roll-Out Resumes For OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro
- Facebook Libra is Official, Even Though a Lot of The High Profile Partners Have Left
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo Winning the Nobel Prize Together is #CoupleGoals