Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Gatecrashers shame US president's security

The failure is ours, says chief of US Secret Service.

News18test sharma |

Updated:November 28, 2009, 8:28 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Gatecrashers shame US president's security
The failure is ours, says chief of US Secret Service.

Washington: A couple who penetrated layers of security to enter a State Dinner at the White House this week without an invitation met US President Barack Obama in the receiving line, a White House official has said.

The Washington Post first reported that a Virginia couple not on the official guest list, Tareq and Michaele Salahi, crashed the White House party but were never seated at a table in the South Lawn tent where the dinner was held.

The White House asked the US Secret Service for a full review of what happened and the agency, charged with protecting the president and other high-level officials, is conducting a comprehensive review of the security breach at the dinner in honour of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"The Secret Service is deeply concerned and embarrassed by the circumstances surrounding the State Dinner on Tuesday, November 24," Secret Service director Mark Sullivan said in a statement.

He said preliminary findings of the investigation determined that established procedures were not followed at an initial checkpoint. The couple went through magnetometers and other screenings, but should not have been allowed to enter the event at all.

"That failing is ours," Sullivan said.

The Secret Service has said no one at the dinner was ever in danger. The White House could not say immediately whether the couple had also met Singh.

A dozen pictures posted on the Facebook website appeared to show the couple posing with dinner guests including Vice President Joe Biden, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty, CBS News anchor Katie Couric and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

The Secret Service said it was continuing its review and measures had been taken to prevent any future such incident.

"The men and women of the Secret Service put their lives on the line every day to protect us. They are heroes and they have the full confidence of the President of United States," White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

"The White House asked the United States Secret Service to do a full review and they are doing that. The United States Secret Service said they made a mistake and they are taking action to identify exactly what happened and they will take the appropriate measures pending the results of their investigation," he said.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results