Girl Child 'Sold' at Bengal Nursing Home for Rs 60,000; 5 Arrested for Trafficking
The incident came to light on Saturday after the couple went to Habra hospital with a newly born girl, who was ill, but failed to produce documents regarding her birth.
Picture for Representation.
Kolkata: Five persons, including the owner of a private nursing home in North 24 Parganas district, have been arrested on the charge of being involved in the trafficking of an 11-day-old child.
The arrested persons also included a couple who were allegedly sold the newly-born girl for Rs 60,000 from the nursing home at Ashok Nagar locality of Habra. The two others were the nursing home's caretaker and a quack attached to the facility, police said.
The incident came to light on Saturday after the couple went to Habra hospital with a newly born girl, who was ill, but failed to produce documents regarding her birth. The hospital authorities suspected foul play and informed the police who questioned the couple and came to know about the alleged trafficking racket.
It is still not clear who were the child's parents. Police sought the nod of a local court to seal the nursing home. The court remanded the caretaker and quack to eight days' police custody and others to judicial custody.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Leaked Pics from The Batman Sets Reveal First Look at Batsuit, Batcycle and Catwoman
- US Law Aimed to Curb Spread of Child Porn May Kill Encryption on Apps Like WhatsApp
- Salaam, a Video Game Based on a Refugee's Life, Wants You to See Their Harsh Realities
- Coronavirus Impact: Samsung Factory in Korea Shut Down After Employee Tests Positive
- Has Donald Trump Become 'LGBTQ Hero' Just Before His Visit to India?