Goa Mulling Imposing Ban on Smoking in Public Places, Says Minister
Vishwajit Rane gave this information through a video message released during the 'Launch of Mission Tobacco Free' event at Goa Medical College and Hospital.
Panaji: The BJP-led Goa government is mulling imposing a ban on smoking in public places, state Health Minister Vishwajit Rane said on Tuesday.
He added that his department had moved a file in this connection to concerned authorities in the government for its implementation.
Rane gave this information through a video message released during the 'Launch of Mission Tobacco Free' event at Goa Medical College and Hospital here.
"We are committed to making Goa tobacco-free. For that we need to ban smoking in public places. The government will identify smoking zones in the state. Violators will be punished heavily," he said.
The Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2018 by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare had revealed that 9.7 per cent of adults in Goa either smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Gonna Tell My Kids' is the Newest Meme in Town and Desi Twitter Has Given a Hilarious Twist to it
- Kamya Panjabi to Get Married in Feb 2020, Announces Date with Picture of ‘Favourite Man’
- Fans Feel Sorry for Rashami in Sidharth-Asim Fight, Ananya Panday Gives Back to Kartik Aaryan for Trolling Her
- Get a FASTag For Your Car, Unless You Want to Pay More at Toll Plazas From December 1
- Lenovo IdeaPad S540 Review: If You Don’t Like Compromises, You Will Love This