Goa Polls: 51 Vehicles Carrying Motorcycles Seized
Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
Representative image. Photo: Reuters
Panaji: Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
"Flying squads, which are on duty in the run up to the polls, yesterday intercepted 217 vehicles carrying goods, of which 51 were detained on suspicion," a press release issued by the department here said.
The detained vehicles were carrying 40 motorcycles, 40 bikes, 240 water heaters worth nearly Rs 88.21 lakh and also mineral water bottles and biscuit packets.
"The goods vehicles were detained for inquiry and it surfaced that the items were being transported without prior permission, and hence, it is suspected that they were meant for use during the election by evading tax," it said.
Transportation of items like motorcycle, mobiles, televisions, laptops, computer and household appliances require prior intimation to the Commercial Taxes department, the release further added.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Ranveer Singh Raps About Life in Shantytown in Gully Boy New Song Mere Gully Mein
- Deepika Padukone Ranks Ahead of Shah Rukh, Salman Khan on Most Valued Indian Celebrity List
- Cardiff Striker Emiliano Sala Feared Dead After Suspected Plane Crash
- This YouTuber Flew Down From Hong Kong to Play PewDiePie's Diss Track Outside T-Series HQ in Noida
- How a Group of Muslims are Feeding TSA as US Government Shutdown Continues For 32nd Day
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s