Goa Polls: 51 Vehicles Carrying Motorcycles Seized
Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
Representative image. Photo: Reuters
Panaji: Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
"Flying squads, which are on duty in the run up to the polls, yesterday intercepted 217 vehicles carrying goods, of which 51 were detained on suspicion," a press release issued by the department here said.
The detained vehicles were carrying 40 motorcycles, 40 bikes, 240 water heaters worth nearly Rs 88.21 lakh and also mineral water bottles and biscuit packets.
"The goods vehicles were detained for inquiry and it surfaced that the items were being transported without prior permission, and hence, it is suspected that they were meant for use during the election by evading tax," it said.
Transportation of items like motorcycle, mobiles, televisions, laptops, computer and household appliances require prior intimation to the Commercial Taxes department, the release further added.
Recommended For You
- #ThisIsNotConsent: Women Are Tweeting Pictures of their Underwear, and you Should Pay Attention
- Jawa, Jawa Forty Two, Jawa Perak Motorcycles Launched in India, Prices Start at Rs 1.55 Lakh
- Russian Man Pays For a New iPhone XS With A Bathtub Full Of Coins: Watch Video
- AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship: Spotlight Again on Mary Kom as World's Best Descend to New Delhi
- Novak Djokovic Eyes Semis After Dismissing Alexander Zverev at ATP Finals