Goa Polls: 51 Vehicles Carrying Motorcycles Seized
Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
Representative image. Photo: Reuters
Panaji: Ahead of the State Assembly polls in Goa, the Commercial Tax Department has detained 51 vehicles, carrying motorcycles and other goods, suspected to be meant for distribution to voters, officials said on Wednesday.
"Flying squads, which are on duty in the run up to the polls, yesterday intercepted 217 vehicles carrying goods, of which 51 were detained on suspicion," a press release issued by the department here said.
The detained vehicles were carrying 40 motorcycles, 40 bikes, 240 water heaters worth nearly Rs 88.21 lakh and also mineral water bottles and biscuit packets.
"The goods vehicles were detained for inquiry and it surfaced that the items were being transported without prior permission, and hence, it is suspected that they were meant for use during the election by evading tax," it said.
Transportation of items like motorcycle, mobiles, televisions, laptops, computer and household appliances require prior intimation to the Commercial Taxes department, the release further added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Akshay Kumar Trolled for Seven-year-old Comments, Sonakshi Sinha Defends Him
- Indian Tourist from Maharashtra Detained in Bhutan for 'Desecrating' Holy Buddhist Chorten
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos
- 'This is a Joke Right?' Trump Wrote a Bizarre Letter to Turkey and Twitter Had a Lot of Memes
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring