Godman Chandraswami, ‘Guru’ of PV Narsimha Rao, is Dead
Spiritual leader Chandraswami passed away here on Tuesday. He was 66.
File photo of Chandraswami.
New Delhi: Spiritual leader Chandraswami passed away here on Tuesday. He was 66.
According to reports, Chandraswami was on dialysis and died of renal failure.
Chandraswami was born as Nemi Chand in 1948 to a money lender from Behror in Rajasthan.
The self-styled godman and tantrik was known for controversies. In October 2014, police registered a case of cheating and criminal breach of conduct on the complaint of Sanjay Kumar Aggarwal, a Vishakhapatnam-based businessman, who claimed that the Chandraswami’s aides defrauded him and disappeared with gemstones.
He was also known for his proximity with former prime minister PV Narsimha Rao. Sources say he advised Rao on all matters, from spiritual to political.
Chandraswami allegedly held a yagna on the behest of Rao in Ayodhya in 1993 following the demolition of the Babri Masjid in an attempt to counter the growing surge of saffron nationalism, only to cancel it midway.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- None of the Avengers Can Beat Thanos' Hilarious #10YearChallenge, See Post
- TRAI’s New Rules For Cable & DTH: Everything You Need to Know Ahead of the Feb 1 Deadline
- Could Facebook be Hit With Record Fine For Privacy Violations Involving Our Information?
- Salah Fires Liverpool Seven Points Clear, Man United Extend Winning Run
- Sridevi Bungalow: Janhvi Kapoor Walks Away When Asked About Priya Prakash Varrier Film
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s