Govt to Provide 5kg Grains, 1kg Pulses for Free Over Next 3 Months to 80 Crore Poor
As many of 20.5 crore women Jan Dhan Account holders will get Rs 500 per month for next three months to run their households.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman
New Delhi:Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday announced the distribution of 5 kg of wheat or rice and one kg of preferred pulses free of cost every month over the next three months to 80 crore poor across the country to deal with the economic impact of the lockdown amid coronavirus outbreak.
As many of 20.5 crore women Jan Dhan Account holders will get Rs 500 per month for next three months to run their households. Poor senior citizens, widow and disabled will get an ex-gratia of Rs 1,000.
Also, the daily wage under MNREGA has been increased to Rs 202 a day from Rs 182 to benefit 5 crore workers.
Sitharaman said the government will front-load Rs 2,000 payment to farmers in the first week of April under the existing PM Kishan Yojana to benefit 8.69 crore farmers.
The beneficiaries of Ujjwala LPG scheme will get free cooking gas for the next three months, she said. This forms part of the Rs 1.70 lakh crore Gramin Kalyan Package.
The BJP welcomed the Rs 1.7-lakh-crore relief package, saying it will help the poor, farmers and other needy sections of the society when the nation is on a 21-day lockdown to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Nobody Can Stop Badshah from 'Copying' Bengali Folk Musician's Song in 'Genda Phool' and that's How it is
- Sunil Grover Shares Video from Kapil Sharma Show, Says it Makes Him Emotional
- Apple iPhone 9 Launch Likely Pegged for April 15, Sale May Kick Off on April 22
- COVID-19 Impact: Volkswagen India Reports 95 Per Cent Decline in March
- Disney+ Hotstar Subscription Costs More Than Hotstar Premium: Here’s Why