New Delhi: Guinness World Records has confirmed that the launch of latest gaming sensation Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) has set seven new world records.
Released on 17 September 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles, the fifteenth title in the Grand Theft Auto series, GTA V, was the first main entry since Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008.
Developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, the critically acclaimed open world action-adventure video game sold 11.21 million units in its first 24 hours, and generated revenue of $815.7 million, going on to reach $1 billion in sales after just three days on September 20 2013.
The figure smashes records previously held by the Call of Duty videogame series and blockbuster movies including The Avengers and Avatar.
Here are the seven records that Grand Theft Auto V broke:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame