Gurmeet Ram Rahim, 3 Others Convicted in Journalist's Murder, Haryana Police on High Alert
Gurmeet Rahim's August 2017 rape sentence had brought reactionary violence that killed over 40 people.
Chandigarh: A special CBI court in Panchkula convicted Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh and three others on Friday in a case pertaining to the murder of Sirsa-based journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati. The sentence will be pronounced on January 17.
The police and local administration in Panchkula are on their toes to avoid any untoward incident in view of the judgment in the 2002 case.
The Dera Sacha Sauda chief, who was convicted for rape, appeared in court from Rohtak’s Sunaria jail through video conferencing. The Haryana government had filed an application for attendance through video conferencing recalling the violence of August 2017, when over 40 people were killed following his conviction in the rape of two women.
Senior vice-chairperson of the Dera, Shobha Insan, in a tweet on Thursday urged the Dera followers to stay home and pray. She said they had complete faith in the judiciary and urged supporters to not be misguided by any rumours.
Chhatrapati was shot in October 2002 after his newspaper 'Poora Sach' published an anonymous letter narrating how women were being sexually exploited by Gurmeet Ram Rahim at the Dera headquarters in Sirsa.
Recommended For You
- Not Salman Khan, But This Actor Was the First Choice to Play Chulbul Pandey in Dabangg
- Apple Releases iOS 12.4, WatchOS 5.3; Walkie-Talkie App Returns on Apple Watch
- PUBG Mobile 0.14.0 Beta Update: New UI, Helicopters, Zombie Mode Update and More
- These Shirtless Pics of Nick Jonas Has Fans Gushing Over His 'Dad Bod'
- Best and Worst Day of my Cricketing Life – Guptill Looks Back at World Cup Final