Happy Holi 2019: Google Doodle Celebrates the Festival of Colours Today
Also known as the festival of colours, Holi marks the end of winter and beginning of spring season and is celebrated by smearing colours on one another.
Today's Google doodle celebrating and wishing its users Happy Holi
Google on Thursday marked the festival of Holi with a colourful doodle showcasing THE spirit of the festival: one of splashing colours and fun.
Also known as the festival of colours, Holi marks the end of winter and beginning of spring season. While it is predominantly celebrated in India and Nepal, other Asian and Western countries have also started celebrating it owing to the presence of Indian diaspora in these regions.
Celebrations begin a night before with Holika Dahan, wherein people perform religious rituals in front of a bonfire. The idea behind this is to pray for the destruction of evil, and is inspired from the way Holika, the sister of the demon king Hiranyakashipu, was killed in the fire.
On Holi, people celebrate by smearing each other with colours and throwing water balloons. People also induldge celebratory dances to the beat of drums, and distribute sweets among family and friends.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Aamir Khan Looks Like a Hobo in Leaked Pics from Laal Singh Chaddha Sets
- Watch | Son Heung-min Scores Solo Stunner as Tottenham Hotspur Crush Burnley 5-0
- Counterfeit Xiaomi Products Worth Rs 13 Lakhs Seized From Delhi's Gaffar Market
- India vs West Indies | Our Responsibility is to Support Rishabh Pant: Virat Kohli
- Former Mumbai Cricketer Robin Morris Arrested Over Alleged Kidnapping: Report