Haryana Minister Anil Vij Fuels Taj Mahal Controversy With 'Beautiful Graveyard' Tweet
Haryana minister Anil Vij's comments come a week after BJP MLA from Sardhana Sangeet Som triggered a controversy by saying that the Taj Mahal was a blot on Indian culture.
File photo of the Taj Mahal.
Chandigarh: The controversy triggered by BJP MLA Sangeet Som’s comments on the Taj Mahal refuses to die down. The latest to wade in is senior Haryana minister Anil Vij, who called the marble wonder as a "beautiful graveyard".
"Taj Mahal ek khoobsurat kabristan hai (Taj Mahal is a beautiful graveyard)," Anil Vij tweeted on Friday.
His comments come a week after BJP MLA from Sardhana Sangeet Som triggered a controversy by saying that the Taj Mahal was a blot on Indian culture.
#ताजमहल एक खूबसूरत कब्रिस्तान है ।— ANIL VIJ (@anilvijminister) October 20, 2017
The Taj, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the seven wonders of the world, is visited by lakhs of people from across the world.
In a damage control exercise, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Tuesday said the famed monument in Agra was a part of Indian heritage and he is to visit it on October 26.
The 17th-century marble monument was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal. Both were buried at the Taj Mahal.
Adityanath, whose BJP government in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of ignoring Taj Mahal in the tourism booklet of the state, said that the monument was constructed "by the blood and sweat of Indian labourers".
Recommended For You
- Payal Rohatgi Files Complaint Against Ajaz Khan Over Derogatory Video
- Hima Das Wins Fifth Gold of the Month as She Returns to 400m Event
- Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas Give the Biggest Shout-out to Priyanka Chopra Jonas on Her Birthday
- Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to Star in Luv Ranjan's Next? These Pictures Say So
- Reliance Jio Q1 Results: Users Consume More Data Per Month as Jio Overtakes Airtel