Hooghly Jetty Collapse Kills Three, 40 Missing
Three people were dead and at least 40 missing when a jetty collapsed in Bhadreshwar area of Hooghly district in West Bengal on Wednesday.
The jetty was reportedly wrecked by high tide which those operating the boat service were not informed about.(Image credits: Sujith Nath)
Kolkata: Three people were dead and at least 40 missing when a jetty collapsed in Bhadreshwar area of Hooghly district in West Bengal on Wednesday.
Superintendent of Police Sukesh Jain said locals who swung into action in small boats traced 18 of the missing persons.
After they were taken to Chandannagar sub divisional hospital, three of them including two women, were declared "brought dead."
The accident occurred when the passengers bound for Shyamnagar in North 24 Parganas district were waiting at the 150-feet high bamboo jetty at Telinipara for boarding a launch to cross the river.
The jetty was reportedly wrecked by high tide which those operating the boar service were not informed about.
Emergency services personnel were carrying out rescue operations at the site.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced a compensation of Rs 3 lakh for the families of those dead and Rs 25,000 for the injured.
Recommended For You
- Suman Rao from Rajasthan Crowned Miss India 2019
- Haryana Roadways Tried to Kill Me: Shooting Sensation Manu Bhaker Posts Photo of Accident
- Last Hurrah: Mahindra Thar Signature Edition to Commemorate its First Generation
- Cabin of the Next-Gen Hyundai Creta Could Take on Audi's Cockpit
- #FactCheck: Did Super Mario Creator Really Tweet Picture of Mario and Luigi Kissing?
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s