Hooghly Jetty Collapse Kills Three, 40 Missing
Three people were dead and at least 40 missing when a jetty collapsed in Bhadreshwar area of Hooghly district in West Bengal on Wednesday.
The jetty was reportedly wrecked by high tide which those operating the boat service were not informed about.(Image credits: Sujith Nath)
Kolkata: Three people were dead and at least 40 missing when a jetty collapsed in Bhadreshwar area of Hooghly district in West Bengal on Wednesday.
Superintendent of Police Sukesh Jain said locals who swung into action in small boats traced 18 of the missing persons.
After they were taken to Chandannagar sub divisional hospital, three of them including two women, were declared "brought dead."
The accident occurred when the passengers bound for Shyamnagar in North 24 Parganas district were waiting at the 150-feet high bamboo jetty at Telinipara for boarding a launch to cross the river.
The jetty was reportedly wrecked by high tide which those operating the boar service were not informed about.
Emergency services personnel were carrying out rescue operations at the site.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced a compensation of Rs 3 lakh for the families of those dead and Rs 25,000 for the injured.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- From Nick Jonas to Her Tattoo, Priyanka Chopra Answers Most Googled Questions About Her
- Alia Bhatt on Ex-Beau Sidharth Malhotra: I Have a Lot of Love and Respect for Him
- Avengers Endgame: Ghajini Director A.R. Murugadoss Enters Marvel Cinematic Universe
- I-League: Minerva Request AIFF to Shift Srinagar Game or Ready to Forfeit
- You Can Buy a Porsche, But Not Common Sense: Boating School Trolls Man After Car Ends Up In Water
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s