Hurriyat Constituent Splits After Separatist Leader's 'Secret' Meeting with Centre's Interlocutor
In a letter to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the chairman of the moderate Hurriyat Conference, MC president Abdul Gani Bhat said it had appointed a new chairman, Muhammad Sultan Magray, for six months.
File photo of Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.
Srinagar: The Muslim Conference (MC), a constituent of the moderate Hurriyat Conference, has split into two factions as the rebels expelled veteran separatist leader and MC president Abdul Gani Bhat for meeting the Centre's special representative for Kashmir, Dineshwar Sharma.
In a letter to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the chairman of the moderate Hurriyat Conference, the MC said it had appointed a new chairman, Muhammad Sultan Magray, for six months.
"As you know, Bhat's secret meeting with Sharma has been a cause of concern for the party and the people of Kashmir. In this backdrop, a meeting of the MC leaders was held, in which it was decided that Magray would be the new president of the outfit for a period of six months," the letter read.
The expulsion comes amid reports that Bhat had met Sharma on the latter's second visit to the state. The new MC president, in the letter issued on Saturday, said the Hurriyat should contact him for any future correspondence with the outfit.
However, Bhat, on his part, expelled the representative of the MC's Pakistan chapter, Manzoor Ahmad Bhat, at whose behest he was expelled from the Hurriyat.
In a letter addressed to Manzoor and counter-signed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Bhat said he had expelled him as the representative for Pakistan for indiscipline.
Recommended For You
- India vs West Indies | Gayle - Jovial and Fun-loving Everywhere, Firm With Youngsters
- Here's Why Indian Fans are Rooting for Pakistan to Beat New Zealand in World Cup Match
- Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya Look Adorable in These Vacation Pics
- You Can Now Get Your ‘Made to Order’ Lenovo ThinkPad Laptop; Over 1,00,000 Configuration Options in Tow
- New Age Social Media Apps, and a Shocking Problem of Borderline Sexual Content
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s