Idea that Hindi Language Can Alone Unite India is Dangerous, Says Chidambaram
P Chidambaram said while he supported the idea that all languages should be developed, he will never accept that Hindi can alone unite the country.
File photo of senior Congress leader and former finance minister P Chidambaram.
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram, who is lodged in Tihar Jail, on Wednesday said the idea that Hindi alone can unite the people of the country is a dangerous trend.
Chidambaram said while he supported the idea that all languages should be developed, he will never accept that Hindi can alone unite the country.
"I have asked my family to tweet on my behalf the following: A dangerous idea that Hindi alone can unite the people of this country has been floated," a tweet from Chidambaram's official Twitter handle said.
"The Tamil people, as well as all others who speak other languages, will never allow the imposition of Hindi," he tweeted.
In another tweet, he said, "We support the development of all languages, but we will never accept the idea that Hindi alone will unite the people of this country."
Chidambaram also urged TNCC president K S Alagirii to ask all Congress workers to join a protest announced by the DMK on September 20 to oppose the imposition of Hindi.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- BCCI President Has Not Spoken to Me on MS Dhoni: Virat Kohli
- Sara Ali Khan Shares Glimpses of Her Sri Lankan Getaway with Quirky Captions
- Bigg Boss 13: Abu Malik Evicted from Salman Khan's Show, Calls His Journey Unpredictable
- Sanya Malhotra Grooves to Ghungroo from War, Sets Dance Floor and Social Media on Fire
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge