- Municipal Corporations 9/10
- TRS 8
- INC 0
- BJP 1
- AIMIM 0
- OTH 0
- MUNICIPALITIES 114/120
- TRS 96
- INC 9
- BJP 3
- AIMIM 2
- OTH 4
'If Passed, Citizenship Bill Will be Victory of Jinnah's Thoughts over Gandhi's': Shashi Tharoor
Participating in the debate on the contentious Bill, Congress' Shashi Tharoor said the proposed legislation goes against the basic principle of the Constitution.
File photo of Congress leader Shashi Tharoor. (PTI Photo)
New Delhi: Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on Monday said if the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill is passed by Parliament, it will be a victory of the thoughts of Muhammad Ali Jinnah over Mahatma Gandhi.
Participating in the debate on the contentious Bill, Tharoor said the proposed legislation goes against the basic principle of the Constitution. "If this bill is passed, then it will be a victory of Muhammad Ali Jinnah's thoughts over Mahatma Gandhi," he said.
According to the proposed legislation, members of Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi and Christian communities, who have come from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, till December 31, 2014 and facing religious persecution there will not be treated as illegal immigrants and will be given Indian citizenship.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Republic Day 2020: A Look at the Fighter Jet Fleet of the IAF: Rafale, Tejas, Sukhoi and More
- Bigg Boss 13: Who Will Get Evicted from the House This Week? Vote Here
- Anand Mahindra Had the Most Epic Response to Twitter User Who Called Him 'Stupid'
- Pakistan Thump Sloppy Bangladesh for Twenty20 Series Win
- Twitter Brings Tricolor India Gate Emoji to Mark 71st Republic Day