IMD Issues Orange Alert as Cyclone Pabuk Inches closer to Andaman Islands
Two teams of National Disaster Response Force have been deployed in Andaman Islands to tackle the situation.
Image for representation. (Image: PTI)
New Delhi:The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued an Orange alert for the Andaman Islands as cyclonic storm Pabuk is moving north-northwestwards with a speed of 20 kmph since the past six hours. It is likely to cross Andaman Islands late on Sunday with wind speed of upto 90 kmph.
According to the Meteorological Office in Port Blair, the storm lay centred about 370 km east-southeast of Port Blair at 2.30 on Sunday morning. It is likely to continue to move north-northwestwards for some more time and cross Andaman Islands by Sunday evening.
Several parts of the islands have been witnessing heavy rains since morning and all the inter-island ships have been cancelled. Two teams of National Disaster Response Force have been deployed to tackle the situation.
The IMD has warned of damage to thatched huts and power and communication lines when the storm passes the region. It has urged people on the Andaman Islands to remain in safe places and suspend all fishing operations in the sea and southeast and east-central Bay of Bengal till January 7 and over east central and adjoining southeast Bay of Bengal on January 8.
The storm is likely to be very rough over south-east and east-central Bay of Bengal, the Andaman Islands and the adjoining Andaman Sea by January 8 and rough over east-central and adjoining south-east Bay of Bengal by January 8.
Pabuk, a once in three-decades weather system, originated over the Gulf of Thailand made landfall on Friday afternoon in Nakhon Si Thammarat province.
Recommended For You
- Life on Mars Could Owe Its Foundation to World's Lightest Solid, Aerogel: NASA-JPL
- Bollywood Star Taapsee Pannu Gifts Jeep Compass Worth Rs 21.34 Lakh to Sister Shagun, Shares Video on Instagram
- Pooja Batra Nails the Minimal Bride Look at Intimate Wedding with Nawwab Shah, See Pics
- Did Netflix Just Give Out the Biggest Spoiler About Sacred Games 2 with this Cryptic Tweet?
- Watch: Sleeping Man Doesn't Even Wake Up as a Snake is Rescued from His Kurta