Rita, India's Oldest Chimpanzee, Dies at Age of 59 at Delhi Zoo
According to the Limca Book of Records, the animal was born on December 12, 1960, in Amsterdam Zoo and acquired by the Delhi zoo in 1990.
Image credits: The Better India.
New Delhi: India's oldest chimpanzee, Rita, which had been battling old age-related health problems and was on a liquid diet, died at the Delhi zoo on Tuesday, officials said.
"The 59-year-old chimpanzee had not been keeping well since July 27. She was not eating properly and had become frail," a Delhi zoo official said.
Since July 27, she was on a diet of juice, coconut water and milk with ground almonds and walnuts.
Born on December 12, 1960, in Amsterdam Zoo and acquired by the Delhi zoo in 1990, Rita was the oldest chimp in India and probably the "oldest in Asia", according to the Limca Book of Records.
On an average, a chimpanzee has a lifespan of around 50 years.
Recommended For You
- Reliance Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Idea Are Trolling Each Other on Social Media
- WhatsApp Has Some New Features For iPhone Users And You Can Use Them Now
- Big Little Lies Actor Zoe Kravitz Joins Robert Pattinson's The Batman as Catwoman
- Android 10 Update Roll-Out Resumes For OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro
- Why Dyson Air Purifiers Are Smarter Than Most: Better Filters And Smarter Testing