Infant in Tamil Nadu Critical After Being Fed Mercury for Stomach Pain
A doctor at the hospital said the infant was suffering from Septecemia due to mercury poisoning after the baby's maternal grandmother fed mercury with betel leaf juice (to the infant) leading to her critical condition.
Thanjavur: A 10-day-old baby girl is battling for life at a government hospital here after she was allegedly fed mercury mixed with betel leaf juice by her grandmother to treat stomach ache.
A doctor at the hospital said the infant was suffering from Septecemia due to mercury poisoning.
Septecemia occurs when a bacterial infection elsewhere in the body, such as lungs or skin, enters the bloodstream.
"The baby's maternal grandmother fed mercury with betel leaf juice (to the infant) leading to her critical condition," he said.
Sumathira, baby's mother said her child had developed stomach pain due to constipation after which the grandmother gave her the concoction.
The baby was first treated at the Mayiladuthurai government hospital and then referred to the one in Thanjavur.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Netizens Troll Sonakshi Sinha After She Fails to Answer Simple Ramayan Question on KBC 11
- Pankaj Tripathi Shares Emotional Incident When He Stole His 'Guru' Manoj Bajpayee's Slippers
- Katrina Kaif and Arjun Kapoor Save a Paparazzi From Getting Hurt; Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough