Is it Compulsory to File Income Tax Returns?
Even NRIs, who have income that exceeds Rs. 2.5 lakh (for FY 2018-19) which is earned or accrued in India, are required to file an income tax return in India.
News18 Creative by Mir Suhail.
Yes, it is compulsory to file income tax returns (ITRs). Not filing returns will not only attract penalties but can also hamper your chances of getting a loan, or a visa for travel purposes or property registration. As per the Income Tax Act, below are entities or firms that require mandatory filing of ITRs in India:
- People whose gross total income (before allowing any deductions under section 80C to 80U) exceeds Rs 2.5 lakh in FY 2018-19. This limit is Rs 3 lakh for senior citizens (aged above 60 but less than 80) and Rs 5 lakh for super senior citizens (aged above 80).
- Companies or firms irrespective of whether you have income or loss during the financial year.
- Those who want to claim an income tax refund.
- Those who want to carry forward a loss under a head of income.
- Resident individuals who have an asset or financial interest in an entity located outside of India. This is however not applicable to NRIs or RNORs (Resident but not Ordinary Resident).
- Residents and signing authorities in a foreign account. Again, this is not applicable to NRIs or RNORs.
- Those who derive income from property held under a trust for charitable or religious purposes or a political party or a research association, news agency, educational or medical institution, trade union, a not for profit university or educational institution, a hospital, infrastructure debt fund, any authority, body or trust.
- Foreign companies taking treaty benefit on a transaction in India.
- Even NRIs, who have income that exceeds Rs. 2.5 lakh (for FY 2018-19) which is earned or accrued in India, are required to file an income tax return in India.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Prabhas and Raveena Tandon Dance on 'Tip Tip Barsa Pani' on Nach Baliye 9
- PV Sindhu Overcomes Tai Tzu Ying to Reach World Badminton Championships Semi-finals
- Tata Harrier Dark Edition Details Leaked Ahead of Launch, All-Black SUV Looks Dominating
- Jio Effect: Tata Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Additional Usage on Annual Plans
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones