Ishrat Jahan Case: CBI Opposes Gujarat DGP P P Pandey's Discharge Plea
The CBI on Tuesday opposed the application of Gujarat's in-charge Director General of Police P P Pandey seeking discharge in the Ishrat Jahan case.
File photo of Ishrat Jahan.
Ahmedabad: The CBI on Tuesday opposed the application of Gujarat's in-charge Director General of Police P P Pandey seeking discharge in the Ishrat Jahan case.
In its reply before the special CBI court in Ahmedabad, the central agency said there was evidence against Pandey which established his direct as well as indirect involvement.
Pandey's application cited his reinstatement and promotion as in-charge DGP of Gujarat as one of the grounds to discharge him.
None of the 105 witnesses examined by the court named him, he said.
Pandey, now out on bail, also pointed out that a supplementary charge sheet filed by the CBI, in which Intelligence Bureau officials including the retired special director Rajinder Kumar were named as accused, is yet to betaken on record by the court.
In the first charge sheet filed in 2013, CBI named seven Gujarat Police officers including the IPS officers Pandey, D G Vanzara and G L Singhal.
19-year-old college girl Ishrat Jahan, her friend Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh and two others were killed by the city crime branch officials in an alleged encounter on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Police termed them as terrorists, but the HC later ordered a CBI probe which found the encounter to be fake.
Recommended For You
- Simmba: Ranveer Singh-Sara Ali Khan’s Tere Bin Will Take You Back to Yash Chopra’s Romantic Songs
- Makdee Actor Shweta Basu Prasad Marries Boyfriend Rohit Mittal in a Bengali Ceremony, See Pics
- Have You Read What Saif Ali Khan Told Smriti Irani When She Moved to Mumbai 23 Years Ago?
- Oprah Winfrey Finally Reveals What She Felt After Tasting a Million Dollar 'Unseasoned Chicken' Recipe
- YouTube's 'Chill' Response to the Most Disliked Video Gets a Thumbs Down From Fans
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s