Jallikattu Supporters Continue Protests in Tamil Nadu, Many Detained
Amid protests against the ban on Jallikattu, police on Sunday detained several people at various places in some southern districts for attempting to organise the bull taming sport.
File image of JalliKattu. (Image: Reuters)
Madurai: Amid protests against the ban on Jallikattu, police on Sunday detained several people at various places in some southern districts for attempting to organise the bull taming sport.
Police said youths were detained at Mudakathan, Alanganallur, Palamedu and Vilangudi in Madurai district, at Nallampatti in Dindigul district and Pottuchavadi in Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu for trying to hold the sport defying the apex court ban.
People hoisted black flags at Palamedu village for not allowing them to hold Jallikattu in connection with Pongal festivities and local temple functions, they said.
Both Palamedu and Alanganallur are famous for Jallikattu in Madurai district.
— ANI (@ANI_news) January 15, 2017
A police officer said they were maintaining strict vigil in such localities.
Police stations have been alerted to prevent any attempt to hold Jallikattu, the officer added.
The die-hard supporters of the sport along with major political parties in the state have been demanding an ordinance for conducting Jallikattu after the Supreme Court imposed a ban on it.
The Supreme Court on Thursday had said it could not give its verdict on Jallikattu before Pongal.
DMK Working President M K Stalin had led a protest in Chennai on Friday in this regard.
Recommended For You
- Watch Opening Salvo | Aakash Chopra Previews IPL 2018, Qualifier 2: KKR vs SRH
- Happy Birthday Karan Johar: Why He's the Definition of Love, Friendship and Bold Decisions
- Ford Ecosport S First Drive Review: The EcoBoost is Back in Black
- Ekta Kapoor's Logic on How to Deal With Rising Fuel Prices is Very, Very Confusing
- Apple Offers Rs 3,900 Credit To iPhone Customer Who Paid For Their Out-of-Warranty iPhone Battery Replacement