Jammu-Srinagar Highway Closed Due to Multiple Landslides
Strategic Jammu-Srinagar national highway was on Monday closed for traffic due to multiple landslides in Ramban district in the Jammu region.
Serpentine queues of loaded trucks at Jammu-Srinagar highway (PTI Photo)
Jammu: Strategic Jammu-Srinagar national highway was on Monday closed for traffic due to multiple landslides in Ramban district in the Jammu region.
According to a traffic department official, the highway has been closed as heavy rains during the night triggered landslides at some places in the district.
Landslide clearance operations had began in the district.
"Intending travellers should not undertake the journey before contacting our control rooms in Jammu and Srinagar to know the latest status of the highway."
The dicey over 300 km long highway gets closed due to heavy rains or snowfall, causing disruption of essential supplies to the landlocked Kashmir Valley.
All essentials to the valley are routed through this highway.
Closure of the highway also results in sky-rocketing of air travel fares between the valley and other parts of the country.
An aerial journey of barely 30 minutes between Srinagar and Jammu costs about Rs 14,000 during the closure of the highway.
Recommended For You
- Amitabh Bachchan Returns To Mumbai After Thugs Of Hindostan Shoot, Ready To Work On Future Projects
- Did Sylvester Stallone Just Get Confused Between Salman Khan and Bobby Deol?
- Usain Bolt Set to Begin Borussia Dortmund Trial on Friday
- Facebook Data Breach: If Germany and Brazil Can, What Stops India From Summoning Social Media Giant?
- 5 Hacks to Stabilize an Upset Stomach