Jat Agitation: Metro to Curtail Service in NCR From Sunday Night
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on Saturday announced that metro services outside Delhi will be suspended from 11:30 pm till further notice in view of Jat groups threatening to intensify their agitation from Monday.
New Delhi: In the view of Jat groups threatening to intensify their agitation, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced on Saturday that the metro services outside Delhi will be suspended from 11:30 pm till further notice.
Twelve metro stations in central Delhi will also be shut from 8 p.m. onwards, however interchange facility will be available at all interchange stations, a DMRC official said.
In an advisory, the DMRC said that metro services will not be available at all metro stations outside Delhi -- Guru Dronacharya to Huda City Centre, Kaushambi to Vaishali, Noida Sector-15 to Noida City Centre and Sarai to Escorts Mujeswar -- from 11.30 p.m. on Sunday (March 19) till further instructions from the Delhi Police.
Meanwhile, Several routes in the national capital, including Zakir Hussain Road, will be closed in view of the Jat agitation on March 20, 2017.
According to an advisory issued by the Delhi Police, the roads which will remain closed include Kemal Ataturk Marg from Race Course Metro Station to Panchseel Marg and Safdarjung Road to Aurobindo Chowk, among others.
Kautilya Marg from Samrat Hotel to Niti Marg, Kautilya T-Point near Bihar Bhawan, Teen Murti to Gole Methi roundabout will remain closed for the commuters. Zakir Hussain road for the commuters coming from Nizamuddin to India Gate will also remain closed, the advisory tweeted by the Delhi Traffic Police said.
The advisory further said that five entry points will be closed from 11 a.m March 19 onwards.
These entry points are Ring Road to San Martin Marg, Amrita Shergill to Lodhi Road, Max Muller Road to Lodhi Road, Archbishop Makarios Marg from Lodhi Road and all lanes leading to Panchkuiyan Road except Mandir Marg, R.K. Ashram and Hospital Road.
It has also issued a list of categories of people, who will be allowed to enter Delhi districts from March 19, 11 p.m onwards.
The list includes bona fide residents, people working in various offices situated in New Delhi area, emergency services, people coming to attend interviews, examination in New Delhi area, ambulances, fore brigades, buses of school children and any other people coming for some urgent work.
The Jat groups are demanding reservation for the community in government jobs and educational institutions, jobs to the next of kin of those killed during the Jat agitation last year, compensation to those injured, withdrawal of cases against them and action against the officers who ordered action against the Jats, among others.
Violence during the Jat agitation in February 2016 had left 30 people dead and over 200 injured. Besides, government and private property worth crores of rupees was damaged.
Meanwhile, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Kal Khattar is scheduled to meet the Jat leaders at 12 pm in Haryana Bhawan on Monday. Yashpal Malik will also be present there. He will be spearheading Monday's protest as well.
Khattar earlier said: "The government had a meeting with the protesters on March 16. The government is seriously addressing the demands of the protesters. I appeal to the protesters that they should come to Haryana Bhawan and discuss the matter.
(with input from IANS)
Recommended For You
- Here are 10 Amazing Instagram Posts by Miss World 2018 Vanessa Ponce De Leone
- Top 5 Android Phones Under Rs 20,000 to Play PUBG: Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro, Poco F1 And More
- Tata Motors Bets Big on Harrier SUV for Sustainable Growth in India
- India vs Australia: Injured Prithvi Shaw Resumes Running After Ligament Injury
- River Plate Edge Out Boca Juniors After Extra Time to Win Copa Libertadores in Madrid