Jats Call Off Agitation in Delhi after Haryana CM Promises 'Reservation'
Jat agitation that was threatening to bring Delhi to a standstill has been postponed for now.
New Delhi: Jat agitation that was threatening to bring Delhi to a standstill has been postponed for now.
The protests were called off after jat leaders met with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar.
"Centre and Haryana will soon begin the process of giving Jats reservation," said Khattar.
Jats were demanding reservation in government jobs and colleges. The plan was to come to Delhi with tractors and gherao the Parliament.
"Tomorrow's Jat agitation is suspended and Jats will not come to Delhi to protest," said Yashpal Malik, the leader of All India Jat Aarakshan Samiti (AIJASS).
The AIJASS had earlier announced that the community would intensify its agitation by taking their protest to Delhi on March 20.
The AIJASS has been agitating to press for its demands in Haryana since January 29.
Talks between the state government and the Jat leaders hit a roadblock last month as the Haryana government made it clear that it has no jurisdiction to withdraw cases being investigated by the CBI against some Jat leaders over violence during the agitation last year.
Their demands include reservation for Jats, jobs to the next of kin of those killed in violence in the Jat agitation last year, compensation to those injured, withdrawal of cases against them and action against the officers, who ordered action against the Jats, among others.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Street Dancer 3D Movie Review: Varun Dhawan, Shraddha Kapoor Fail To Get Us Grooving
- Street Dancer 3D Box Office Prediction: Remo D'Souza's Dance Film Might Wash Off Varun Dhawan's Kalank
- This Bihar School Runs for Only One Girl, Has Two Teachers and a Cook for Midday Meal
- Anil Kumble Feels 'Honoured' After PM Modi Used his Broken Jaw as Example to Inspire Students
- Tata Altroz Undercuts Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Hyundai Elite i20 by Atleast Rs 30,000