Chandigarh: Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC were imposed and internet services suspended in many 'sensitive' districts of Haryana on Saturday in the wake of the Jat body's plan to ghearo the Parliament on March 20.
The section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), prohibiting unlawful assembly, has been imposed in many sensitive districts, including Rohtak, Jhajjar, Bhiwani, Charkhi Dadri and Hisar, where internet services have also been suspended for indefinite period, official sources told PTI.
Restrictions have been imposed on the movement of tractor-trolleys from one district to another, they said, adding that the Army has been called in to manage the situation.
Meanwhile, All-India Jat Aarkashan Sangarsh Samiti (AIJASS), the body spearheading the agitation for reservation, remained firm on laying a siege to the national capital from March 20 as they alleged that their demands had not been met.
AIJASS president Yashpal Malik said the Centre should intervene to resolve the issue.
"From February last year, we have held talks on six occasions with the Haryana government. But our demands have still not been met," he said.
He also alleged that the Manohar Lal-led state government was "confused and not showing sincerity in resolving the issue".
Reacting on Khattar's statement that the Jat body was "frequently shifting the goal posts and that Malik had made unilateral announcements in Panipat that they (Jats) were to have a meeting with the CM in Delhi yesterday", the AIJASS president said, "Attempts are being made to weaken our agitation. This government looks utterly confused. Their statements are only complicating the situation."
"We wanted the Chief Minister to take a final call on our demands. It was decided that he will meet us in Delhi and discuss all issues with us. But the CM skipped the meeting despite being in Delhi," he claimed.
"Therefore, we have decided to continue with our agitation and we will now move to Delhi on March 20," he said.
On the imposition of prohibitory orders in the state, Malik said, "We have the right to protest. We have been doing so for the last so many days in a peaceful manner. The law of the land does not prevent us from going to Delhi to raise our point in a democratic manner."
Besides seeking quota, the demands of the Jats include release of those jailed during last year's agitation, withdrawal of cases slapped during the protest and government jobs for the kin of those killed and injured while taking part in the stir.
The Jats have been sitting on dharna in various parts of Haryana since January 29.
(Reopens DEL 25)
The Haryana Chief Minister had yesterday reiterated the commitment of the state government to maintain a peaceful atmosphere.
"I am always prepared to negotiate with an open mind to resolve the issue and the Jat leaders can hold dialogue with me at any place," he had said.
Khattar had maintained that the government had already given the benefit of reservation to Jats and others, which is pending in the court.
"The advocate was appointed with the consent of Jat leaders to plead the case in the court. The compensation to the victims has already been given. The offer of job was also made by the government and compensation to the injured is being delivered.
"The cases which are pending in the court are not under the purview of the state government. The state can only ask the court to re-examine some cases," he said.