Jawan on Poll Duty Killed in Shootout at Central Forces Base in Bengal's Howrah
Central forces have been deployed in the region ahead of Lok Sabha polls for the Howrah constituency, which votes on May 6 in the sixth phase of elections.
security personnel seen outside school in Howrah's Bagnan
Bagnan: One soldier was killed and two were injured in a gunfight on Thursday at a central force base in Bagnan in West Bengal's Howrah district.
Central forces have been deployed in the region ahead of Lok Sabha polls for the Howrah constituency, which votes on May 6 in the sixth phase of elections. They had reportedly set up a camp in a girls school here for carrying out poll duty.
The deceased jawan, Bholanath Das was from the seventh Battalion of Assam rifles.
The accused, identified as Lakshmi Kanta Burman, opened 13 rounds of fire from 2 Insas Rifles. He is currently under police detention.
The two injured jawans were shifted to a hospital in Kolkata, the police said, adding that one of them continues to be in a critical state.
No official reasons have been cited for the shootout yet, but eyewitnesses say that the accused was under tremendous mental stress. The jawan was apparently asking for leave which was not sanctioned to him.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- 'Wonderful': Ivanka Trump Thanks PM Modi for 'Yoga Nidra' Tip during Coronavirus Lockdown
- This Coronavirus Version of Do Re Mi from 'Sound of Music' is Making 90s Kids Nostalgic
- Portugal Grants Full Citizenship Rights to Migrants during Coronavirus Pandemic
- This Pic of Reel Life Ram Arun Govil Watching Ramayan With His Family Goes Viral
- Microsoft 365 is Indicative of a New Direction Where Microsoft is All About Consumers