Stepping up pressure on the government following the success of the Jallikattu stir in Tamil Nadu, students, artistes and politicians on Friday staged a massive protest demanding removal of the ban on Kambala, a traditional buffalo race in the coastal region held annually.
AIADMK activists and leaders demanded a ban on PETA. Noted personalities from film industry, including actors Devdas Kapikad, Naveen D Padil, Bhojaraj Vamanjoor, director-producer Vijay Kumar Kodai-lbail, and others, called for immediate government action to ensure continuation of Kambala.
Organisers of 'Kambala' (buffalo race) in Karnataka has decided to hold the traditional sport in Mangaluru on January 28 in violation of court orders restraining the same.
- Kambala has been going on for 800 years. It is a part of this land, it's not pertaining to just one caste or religion
- The centre HAS to pass an aordinance
- Kambala is a safe race, they don't ban horse races, why? Even after there are deaths due to it. Save Kambala, it's our heritage, our culture
CLICK TO READ: Bring Ordinance to Hold Kambala, Yeddyurappa tells Govt
With growing clamour for allowing the traditional buffalo race Kambala, Karnataka BJP chief B S Yeddyurappa on Wednesday asked the Siddaramaiah government to bring in an Ordinance to facilitate holding of the event.
Law Minister T B Jayachandra on Kambala:
- The central Government and state government are having a say, so we want to bring a law of our own and we are thinking about it, since the Assembly is meeting on 6 February. By that time we will positively decide to bring a law in the Assembly.
- Central Govt has to support because this comes under concurrent list, and state has not taken any steps because of active involvement of animal supporters, we are trying to manage
- Now the court has given a stay order and in the light of how GOI came to the rescue of TN, we are bound to get justice
CLICK TO READ: Siddaramaiah For Buffalo Race, Seeks Centre's Favourable Stand
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday said his government was in favour of holding it and asked the Centre to take a favourable stand as it did for Jallikattu in Tamil Nadu.
A man races a pair of buffaloes as he participates in Kambala, an annual buffalo race conducted to mark the end of the harvest season at Surathkal town on the outskirts of the southern Indian city of Mangalore (Reuters)
Stay tuned for more LIVE updates.
15 Jan, 2019 | India in Australia AUS vs IND 298/950.0 overs 299/449.2 oversIndia beat Australia by 6 wickets
12 Jan, 2019 | India in Australia AUS vs IND 288/550.0 overs 254/950.0 oversAustralia beat India by 34 runs
11 - 14 Jan, 2019 | Pakistan in South Africa SA vs PAK 262/1077.4 overs 185/1049.4 oversSouth Africa beat Pakistan by 107 runs
11 Jan, 2019 | Sri Lanka in New Zealand NZ vs SL 179/720.0 overs 144/1016.5 oversNew Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 35 runs
08 Jan, 2019 | Sri Lanka in New Zealand NZ vs SL 364/450.0 overs 249/1041.4 oversNew Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 115 runs