Gujarat blasts: American returns for probe

Gujarat blasts: American returns for probe

The ATS had cleared him of any involvement in the terror email case.

  • Last Updated: September 11, 2008, 3:15 AM IST
Share this:

New Delhi: American National Kenneth Haywood - whose wifi account was hacked into by terrorists to send a terror email minutes before the Ahmedabad blasts - has returned to India with his family.

Haywood had managed to slip out from under the Indian authorities' noses despite a lookout notice issued by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) and had escaped the country on August 18.

Soon after his escape, the ATS had cleared him of any involvement in the terror email case.

However, during the course of investigation, he was summoned several times and had even undergone a polygraph test.

Three days before he left India, Kenneth Haywood told CNN-IBN in a series of email conversations that his intentions to move out of India were known to the authorities.

He had said, "All the conspiracy theories are really pretty funny. It was really no secret that I was leaving."

Haywood - an ex-pastor - had accused the ATS of corruption and has even vented his frustration over the pace of investigation in an email interview to CNN-IBN. It is believed he was vary of undergoing a narco-test that was on the cards.

The ATS and the immigration officials of Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport had come under a lot of flak for overseeing the lookout notice following which an immigration official was suspended.

Haywood is expected to meet ATS officials at around 15:00 hrs IST on Thursday.

Sources had earlier indicated that there was pressure from the US government to let Haywood go home after investigations showed that he was innocent. However, the American Embassy had at that time hastened to clarify that it had no role in helping Haywood leave India.

Haywood's smooth passage out of India had raised many questions the most worrying of which was: How could a person named in such a sensitive, high-importance investigation be allowed to leave the country?

Forty-four-year-old Haywood was working with an MNC in Mumbai and had even cooperated with the probe. However, over the last three days that he was in India, Haywood had failed to appear despite repeated summons.

Next Story