Kin Tied to Tree, Beaten up After Dalit Youth Elopes With Muslim Girl
In yet another shocking incident, a Dalit youth from Sindagi taluk here was, along with his father, tied to a tree and beaten up by members of a Muslim family.
Bijapur: In yet another shocking incident, a Dalit youth from Sindagi taluk here was, along with his father, tied to a tree and beaten up by members of a Muslim family.
Bijapur police have registered a complaint under SC and ST Prevention of Atrocities Act. The incident happened three days ago but has come to forefront now after videos of the beating circulated on social media and messaging applications.
According to locals, trouble began after Ningappa, a Dalit youth, eloped with a Muslim girl from the neighbourhood. Soon, the girl’s family went looking for Ningappa’s father Mareppa, post which they tied him to a tree and beat him up for allegedly encouraging his son to elope with the girl. When Ningappa’s younger brother tried to intervene, he was also tied by the girl’s family and beaten up. The incident was witnessed by several villagers who recorded the episode on their phones. The videos soon started circulating on various mediums.
Police officials told News18 that the victims were initially hesitant to file a complaint, but finally did after the cops convinced them to take legal action. The girl’s family, meanwhile, has filed a counter complaint against Ningappa’s family. Police are now trying to verify whether the girl is a minor.
Recommended For You
- NASA Just Found Stark Trek's 'Starfleet' Insignia On Surface of Mars
- Ranveer Singh's Outfit at India vs Pakistan Match Turns Heads, Sparks Social Media Frenzy
- In Avengers Endgame, Here's Why Iron Man Died While Using Infinity Stones
- India vs Pakistan: PCB Raises Objection Against Star Sports Commercial for Big Game
- Weekly Tech Recap: E3 2019, Mi Band 4, Google Pixel 4, London Tech Week and More
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s