Kolkata Man Lives with Mom's Rotten Corpse for 18 Days, Waiting for 'Auspicious Moment' to Bury Her
When the police arrived at his house, Maitreya claimed that he was 'waiting for an auspicious moment' to bury the body according to Christian faith. The mother lay putrefied on an upturned cupboard.
Kolkata: The Kolkata police has detained a 38-year-old man who kept his mother’s maggot-infested body in his possession for 18 days, waiting for an auspicious time to bury her.
House No. BE-220 in Salt Lake came under the police scanner after a CID officer called them up on Sunday evening and informed about a mysterious call from a relative, who had been approached by accused Maitreya Bhattacharya for help to bury his mother’s body, the Times of India reported.
When the police arrived at his house, Maitreya claimed that he was “waiting for an auspicious moment” to bury the body according to Christian faith. The mother lay putrefied on an upturned cupboard.
After primary interrogation, the police learnt that 77-year-old Krishna Bhattacharya died 18 days ago and her son was waiting for her body to rot and complete the 21-day cycle before finally burying her at their house. Maitreya claimed that it was an “auspicious ritual that he and his mother believed in”.
His mother was a teacher at a girls’ school in Bhowanipore till her retirement and father Gorachand Bhattacharya was a neurosurgeon at the state run SSKM Hospital. Gorachand passed away in 2013 under mysterious circumstances.
The Bhattacharya house was replete with bizarre displays of identity proofs of Gorachand. The neighbours also claimed that the family preferred to stay aloof and Maitreya showed traits of schizophrenia. The police have sent the body for postmortem and have registered a case of unnatural death.
Recommended For You
- Jasleen Matharu Reportedly Files FIR Against Deepak Thakur, Ranveer Singh Goes on a Selfie Spree at ICC World Cup
- Cricket World Cup 2019 | Shoaib Malik & Sania Mirza Hit Back at Twitter Trolling
- Taylor Swift Flaunts Ring Worth USD 15,000 & Other Blingy Accessories in 'You Need to Calm Down'
- Xiaomi is Making Fun of Other Android Smartphones With Notches, as it Promotes The Mi 9T
- Biker Saves Three Girls from Eve-Teasing, Shows Importance of Mounted Cams in India
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s