Kolkata Metro Announces Increase in Fares After Gap of 6 Years
While the minimum fare of Rs 5 was left untouched for the first two-kilometre journey, it has been increased to Rs 10 for the next three kilometres, Kolkata Metro spokesperson Indrani Banerjee said.
Representative Image (Image: PTI)
Kolkata: Commuters availing the Kolkata Metro would now have to shell out more for travelling longer distance, as it on Tuesday announced increase in fares after a gap of six years.
While the minimum fare of Rs 5 was left untouched for the first two-kilometre journey, it has been increased to Rs 10 for the next three kilometres, Metro spokesperson Indrani Banerjee said.
The fare has been increased by Rs 5 for all the subsequent stages from the existing rates, Banerjee said.
The new fare will come into effect from December 5, she said.
The Kolkata Metro, the oldest rapid transit system in the country, runs both airconditioned and non-AC rakes in the north-south axis of the city over a distance of over 27 km from Noapara to Kavi Shubhash station.
The minimum fare of ordinary buses in the metropolis is Rs 7, while that of minibuses is Rs 8.
Air-conditioned bus services cost Rs 20 or Rs 25 in the initial stage. PTI
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- #AmbedkarLongLive: Twitter Fondly Remembers BR Ambedkar on His 63rd Death Anniversary
- Hyderabad Encounter: Petition Filed in NHRC Seeking Autopsy of Bodies of the Rape Accused
- Kalki Koechlin Flaunts Baby Bump in New Photoshoot, See Pics
- Data Protection Law Gets Closer to Reality With Stiff Penalties for Data Leaks And Breaches
- Alia Bhatt is So Successful as She Didn't Inherit a Genetic Flaw from Our Father, Says Pooja Bhatt