Labourer Dies as Building Collapses During Demolition in Mumbai
As demolition was underway, the entire building came crashing down around 5.30 pm. Five labourers on the site got trapped under the debris. Two of them were injured grievously and rushed to hospital.
Mumbai: A labourer died when a dilapidated building under the jurisdiction of the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) collapsed while it was being demolished in south Mumbai on Friday, police said.
Fire had broken at Sayyad building in Masjid Bunder area on July 3. The flames were extinguished after two days.
Following the incident, MHADA decided to demolish the building, mostly a wooden structure.
As demolition was underway, the entire building came crashing down around 5.30 pm, a police official said.
Five labourers on the site got trapped under the debris. Two of them were injured grievously and rushed to hospital.
Farid Khan (45) died during treatment, the official said.
MHADA, the state housing agency, also looks after repair and maintenance of old and dilapidated buildings in the city.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- In Pics: Taking a Sneak Peek into 13 Reasons Why Season 3, Find Out Who Killed Bryce Walker?
- Party of Four on the Way: Lisa Haydon Announces Second Pregnancy with Adorable Post
- Deepika Padukone's 'Daddie' Remark for Ranveer Singh Has Fans Guessing if She's Pregnant
- Gay Penguin Parents Who Tried to Hatch Stone Get Presented With Real Egg
- Hilarious 'Alag Alag' Memes from Ayushmann's 'Dream Girl' Trailer Bring Twitter Together