GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
Powered by cricketnext logo
»
2-min read

Lalu Defends Son Tej Pratap for Threatening to 'Skin’ PM Modi After Security Downgrade

Tej Pratap said there was a credible fear of an assassination attempt on his father and said Modi and Nitish Kumar would be responsible if anything untoward were to happen.

News18.com

Updated:November 27, 2017, 4:43 PM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
Lalu Defends Son Tej Pratap for Threatening to 'Skin’ PM Modi After Security Downgrade
Tej Pratap said it was a conspiracy to harm Lalu Prasad Yadav. (Photo: PTI)

New Delhi: Lalu Prasad Yadav’s son Tej Pratap on Monday threatened to "skin" Prime Minister Narendra Modi after the central government decided to downgrade the security cover of his father and former Bihar chief minister.

Sensing a conspiracy to harm Lalu, Tej Pratap flayed the move and said there was a credible fear of an assassination attempt on his father.

“We will give a befitting reply for this. Narendra Modi Ji ka khaal udhedva lenge (We’ll skin Narendra Modi). Go and tell him,” he told reporters and challenged the PM if he could do anything to stop him.

When media persons sought a clarification on his remarks, he said, “We are afraid that they might get my father murdered… like in Shahabuddin case and like Gauri Lankesh was killed. They can do anything. If anything happens, it will be the responsibility of Modi and Nitish Kumar.”

The former Bihar chief minister will now be given 'Z' category security and be guarded by an armed commando squad of the Central Reserve Police Force, in accordance with the protocol of the scaled down cover, sources said. The decision was taken after a recent review of the threat to various protectees.

Yadav will no longer have National Security Guard black cat commandos guarding him. The NSG only provides 'Z+' security cover.
Lalu defended Tej Pratap’s remark and said “anyone’s blood would boil if their father gets attacked”. But he said he had asked his son to remain calm.

Taking a jibe over the withdrawal of plus security cover, he asked the Centre if there was any plan to attack Pakistan with the additional forces.

Speaking to media in Patna, a visibly angry Lalu said it was a conspiracy of Modi and Nitish to stop him from moving across the country. “If anything happens to me then Modi-Nitish will be responsible for that. Even small leaders of BJP are getting Z+ security but they are withdrawing my security,” he said.

The 'Z+' CRPF VIP security cover of former Bihar chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi has also been withdrawn completely. He will have state police cover now.

The 'Z' cover of Union minister Haribhai P Chaudharyhas also been scaled down to 'Y+', entailing less manpower and other paraphernalia, they said. The minister of state for coal and mines was accorded the larger security cover of central security forces commandos when he was minister of state for home.

This is not the first instance of Tej Pratap making a grave threat. Just last week, he was caught on video saying he would disrupt the wedding of BJP leader Sushil Modi’s son.

"I was invited to attend the wedding. If I go there, I will expose him in public. I will thrash him inside his house, hold a public meeting at the marriage venue and vandalise things,” he said and dared Modi to go ahead with the wedding ceremony.

The threat forced Sushil Modi to shift the venue. “Knowing the kind of person Tej Pratap is, we decided to change the venue," he said.

Also Watch

Read full article