Modi and Rahul Pay Homage on 54th Death Anniversary of Jawaharlal Nehru
"Tributes to our first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on his death anniversary," PM Narendra Modi said in a tweet.
File image of India's first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday led the nation in paying tributes to first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 54th death anniversary.
Nehru, who was born on November 14, 1889, died on May 27, 1964.
"Tributes to our first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on his death anniversary," Modi said in a tweet.
Former president Pranab Mukherjee, former vice-president Hamid Ansari and Congress chief Rahul Gandhi paid floral tributes to the departed leader at Shanti Van--Nehru's memorial on the banks of Yamuna here.
Senior Congress leaders, including Ghulam Nabi Azad, Ashok Gehlot and Motilal Vora also paid tributes to the country's first prime minister.
Devotional songs were played and an all-religion prayer meeting was organised at the memorial.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Maruti Suzuki XL6 to Launch Today, Watch it Live Here [Video]
- Gulzar, Poonam Dhillon Attend Khayyam's Prayer Meet; Kapil Sharma Accused of Disrespecting Women
- HS Prannoy Trumps Lin Dan to Enter Round 3 of World Badminton Championships
- Camera That Clicked San Francisco’s Fog Enveloped Golden Gate Bridge is Shutting Down
- Are Your Cable TV And DTH Subscriptions Set to Become More Affordable?