Lok Sabha Passes Motion of Thanks on President's Address
The Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed a Motion of Thanks on President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the joint sitting of Parliament, amid protests from the Opposition.
A TV Grab of Lok Sabha proceedings. (Image: CNN-News18)
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed a Motion of Thanks on President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the joint sitting of Parliament, amid protests from the Opposition.
"That the members of the Lok Sabha assembled for this session are deeply grateful to the President for the address which he has been pleased to deliver to both houses of Parliament assembled together on January 31, 2017," the motion said.
The motion was passed by the House by a voice vote, even as Congress member Jyotiraditya Scindia insisted on a division over his amendments.
Opposition members also protested against over the absence of Union Minister Mahesh Sharma, who had moved the motion on Monday.
Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, however, said she was not able to hear the opposition members because of the ruckus and went ahead with the motion.
Angry Congress and Communist Party of India-Marxist members staged a walkout from the House, after which the motion was passed by a voice vote.
All amendments by opposition members were also defeated.
Recommended For You
- Padmaavat Row to Tanushree Dutta’s Courageous Fight: Top 7 Bollywood Controversies of 2018
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018 Winners: Apple iPhone XS Max is The Undisputed Smartphone of The Year
- Wish I Were from Pakistan: Sonu Nigam Takes a Jibe at Music Industry for 'Ignoring' Indian Singers
- Kanpur Wale Khuranas: Sunil Grover’s New Show is a Sad Spill-Over of Kapil Sharma’s Comedy Nights
- WATCH | Runs Made When Team Loses Shouldn't Count: Gambhir
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s