Lok Sabha Passes Motion of Thanks on President's Address
The Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed a Motion of Thanks on President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the joint sitting of Parliament, amid protests from the Opposition.
File photo of proceedings in the Lok Sabha.
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed a Motion of Thanks on President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the joint sitting of Parliament, amid protests from the Opposition.
"That the members of the Lok Sabha assembled for this session are deeply grateful to the President for the address which he has been pleased to deliver to both houses of Parliament assembled together on January 31, 2017," the motion said.
The motion was passed by the House by a voice vote, even as Congress member Jyotiraditya Scindia insisted on a division over his amendments.
Opposition members also protested against over the absence of Union Minister Mahesh Sharma, who had moved the motion on Monday.
Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, however, said she was not able to hear the opposition members because of the ruckus and went ahead with the motion.
Angry Congress and Communist Party of India-Marxist members staged a walkout from the House, after which the motion was passed by a voice vote.
All amendments by opposition members were also defeated.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Delhi Cab Drivers Carry Condoms in First-Aid Box and it's Not Just for Safe Sex
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Deepak Punia Books Tokyo Olympics Quota After Entering Semis at World Wrestling Championships
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes