Speaker Sumitra Mahajan Bats for 'One Nation, One Election' Formula
Sumitra Mahajan who is also the President of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Union Indian Region, said it would be beneficial for the nation if Lok Sabha and Assembly elections were held simultaneously.
File image of Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan. (Image: PTI)
Shimla: Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Saturday backed the concept of holding simultaneous Parliamentary and Assembly polls stressing that it would be beneficial for the nation.
Mahajan was speaking here after inaugurating the two-day Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Indian Region-IV, conference and workshop being hosted by Himachal Pradesh State Legislative Assembly.
Presiding over the conference, Mahajan who is also the President of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Union Indian Region, said it would be beneficial for the nation if Lok Sabha and Assembly elections were held simultaneously.
The formula of one nation, one election should be followed, she said.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur and leader of Opposition Mukesh Agnihotri too expressed their views.
Apart from deliberating upon holding simultaneous polls, the conference will discuss the effects and benefits of the National e-Legislative system, the increased consumption of narcotics and its side-effects and solutions.
Recommended For You
- Watch: Airline Passenger Caught Using Toes to Scroll Through In-Flight Entertainment
- Is Chunky Panday the First Confirmed Celebrity Contestant of Salman Khan's Bigg Boss 13?
- Arbaaz Khan on Why He Chose to Do Priya Prakash Varrier’s Controversial Film Sridevi Bungalow
- World Emoji Day: There are New Disability, Food, Animal and Saree Emojis Coming to Your iPhone
- Why is The OxygenOS 9.5.9 Not Available For Many OnePlus 7 Pro Users in India Even Now?