Lucky Saturday for Chennai Residents as Many Get Free Metro Ride. Thanks to Server Glitch
When passengers could not be issued tokens after fare collection due to the glitch, the authorities allowed passengers to proceed with their onward journey sans the usual tickets or smart cards.
Chennai: Hit by a malfunction in its fare collection system for about two and half hours on Saturday morning, Chennai Metro Rail allowed commuters to use the services free of cost without tickets and smart cards.
When passengers could not be issued tokens (tickets) after fare collection due to the glitch, the authorities allowed passengers to proceed with their onward journey sans the usual tickets or smart cards.
"First, it was thought that the malfunction was only in one station. When we realised it has affected the system in all other stations as well, the passengers were allowed to use the services without tickets," a Metro Rail official told PTI.
For sometime after the glitch was detected, paper tickets were issued and later it was dispensed with, he added. Passengers said they welcomed the initiative, which has avoided inconvenience.
The malfunction has since been rectified and commuters should use tokens and smartcards for access, the official said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Pankaj Tripathi Shares Emotional Incident When He Stole His 'Guru' Manoj Bajpayee's Slippers
- Katrina Kaif and Arjun Kapoor Save a Paparazzi From Getting Hurt; Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough