Maharashtra Election Results: Independent Candidate Guards EVM Room Ahead of Counting
The candidate in question is former BJP MLA Anil Gote, who reportedly guarded the EVM strong room all night in his constituency of Dhule, Maharashtra.
File photo of independent candidate and former BJP MLA, Anil Gote.
Former BJP MLA Anil Gote, the independent candidate from Maharashtra's Dhule Assembly seat, spent the night outside the EVM strong room in his segment, claiming he was guarding the facility to avoid any misuse of the voting machines ahead of counting on Thursday. Counting of votes for all 288 Assembly elections and Satara Lok Sabha bypoll began at 8 am on Thursday.
Gote in the morning said he chose to stay awake throughout the night outside the EVM strong rooms in Dhule along with some of his supporters. He won the 2014 Assembly polls from Dhule city on BJP's ticket, but this time the constituency was given to ally Shiv Sena as part of the seat-sharing formula. The opposition Congress, NCP and some other parties have been raising suspicion over the functioning of the electronic voting machines (EVMs), alleging that they were tampered at some places.
The Congress' demand of installing mobile phone jammers outside the strong rooms housing the EVMs in the state was earlier refused by the Election Commission.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Happy Anniversary DeepVeer: A Look at Deepika-Ranveer’s Fun-filled Instagram Exchanges Post Wedding
- Photoshopped Image of Cricketer Smriti Mandhana with Lipstick and Fairer Skin Causes Outrage
- Avengers Endgame: Robert Downey Jr-Katherine Langford's Deleted Scene Released on Disney+
- Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch Launched With a New Keyboard, Price Starts at Rs 1,99,900
- Dog or Unicorn? Meet Narwhal, the Puppy with a Tail Growing Out of His Forehead